How Do You Score Points In Wrestling?
Before we get started, you'll need to know the basic positioning of the wrestlers during a match.
* Neutral- Both wrestlers stand facing each other about 3 feet apart and ready to wrestle.
* Referee's Position- Start position where on the wrestlers is perched down on his hands and knees (all fours), while the other wrestler is positioned on top, alongside the bottom wrestler, kneeling on his nearside knee. The top wrestler also place his farside arm around his opponent's waist with the hand of the other arm on the nearside elbow of his opponent. The far-side leg of the top man is placed behind the bottom wrestler.
* Top Position (advantage)- The person on top in the referee's position.
* Bottom Position (disadvantage)- The person on the bottom in the referee's position.
Takedown = (2 Points). From the neutral position, when one wrestler takes the other wrestler down to the mat and controls him from the top, a takedown is scored.
Reversal= (2 Points). When a wrestler is on the bottom in the referee's position and reverses his opponent to the top in the referee's position, a reversal is scored.
Escape= (1 Point). When a wrestler is on the bottom in the referee's position and escapes to the neutral position without reversing the top man, an escape is scored.
Near Fall (back points/exposure)= (2 Points). When the bottom wrestler has his back exposed to the mat on an angle of 45 degrees or less for a count of at least 2 seconds, but less than 5 seconds, a 2 point near fall is scored.
Near Fall (back points/exposure)= (3 Points). When the bottom wrestler has his back exposed to the mat on an angle of 45 degrees or less for a count of 5 seconds or more a 3 point near fall is scored.
Penalty Points= can be awarded to the opponent of the wrestler in violation of certain rules and conduct. The following is a list of commonly awarded penalty points.
* Stalling (one or both wrestlers not initiating action or one wrestler being totally defensive and backing away from opponent) - Initially a warning, followed by penalty of 1 point, with each additional incident incurring penalties of 1point, 2 points, 2 points and then disqualification.
* False Start/ Illegal Start Position (starting before the whistle blows, top or bottom wrestler not aligned in the proper referee's position). 2 warnings, followed by 1 point penalties for each additional incident, no disqualification.